Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Eulogy

I stood, shaking in front of you
As the songs were sung, the prayers said
And I called out to you, 
But you did not answer, because you were dead


I cried silently, watching, waiting
And as time ticked by
Every moment, I was hating
The fact that I never got to say goodbye

So I write to you, my love
As you watch me from above,
Everthing I never got to say to you:

I met you two years ago on the corner of Fremont Avenue
And even then I knew that I would fall for you.

You looked at me strangely when I voiced this aloud
And right then, I nearly cowed

But, I stood strong
And eventually, you came along.

You were my first everything
Which is why everyone was surprised when i bought the ring
But, i didn't need to date around,
Looking for something I had already found.

We made it two years together,
Cruising straight through the stormy weather
We survived every obstacle put in front of us
So easily, no fuss

But there was one we could not avoid,
One we thought to be, because of our ages, devoid.
But, death has no age limit, we now know
Wish we would've known earlier, though.

(Heart failure at twenty eight years old
Is not uncommon, I am now told.)

It saddens me to think of all the more years we could have had
All the ups and downs, good and bad.
I think of all the years you won't get to live
And you know that there is nothing I wouldn't give
So that you could have those years of life
I'd even give you up as my wife, 
If that's what it would take,
You have no idea of all the sacrifices I would make.

But, that's the thing about life and death: it doesn't work that way
You can be alive one day
And the next day gone.
And it all just seems so wrong.

I still have your ring.
Without it, I have nothing left.
Some people believe that love can endure anything
Except death

But that's not true,
at least not for me and you.

And even though it's time to say goodbye,
Just remember that my love for you will ALWAYS be able light the darkest sky.

Death can only strengthen love,
Not destroy it.

I love you, 
And I miss you dearly.
Signed sincerely,

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment